Wednesday, April 15, 2009

jim carrey dead





jim carrey dead


This is a most shocking and amazing news about
Jim Carrey wants people to say 'yes' to his comedy comeback.

jim carrey dead

Jim carey knows what it’s like to be in a slump, just like his Carl Allen character in "Yes Man." The comedian/actor has had his share of highs and lows in his professional and personal life, including embarrassing flops and an admitted struggle with depression. When "Yes Man" hit theaters in December 2008, it went head-to-head with Will Smith’s "Seven Pounds," and "Yes Man" came out on top. It was a comeback of sorts for Carrey, because some had wondered if he was beginning to lose his box-office appeal for live-action movies.

"Yes Man" (which was released on DVD and Blu-ray on April 7) tells the story of Carl Allen, a bank loan officer who’s struggling with loneliness and a disappointing love life. He meets a self-help guru, who challenges Carl to say "yes" to everything for an entire year. Around the same time, Carl encounters by chance a quirky and free-spirited young woman named Allison (played by Zooey Deschanel) and, well, you can figure out the rest. At a Los Angeles press conference to promote the movie, Carrey talked about what this comedy "comeback" means to him … and, of course, he couldn’t help but joke around at times when he was asked questions that were meant to be serious.

You famously did that bungee jump scene in "Yes Man" without using a stunt double. What was going through your mind when you actually did it?

Death. Lots of death. Lots of crossing over was going through my mind. It was very strange. [I was thinking,] "Oh, they do this all the time. It’s no problem." And then I got to the bridge. That was intense enough. "Oh my God. What have I done? What am I doing here?" But when I got my feet up on the ledge, it was literally like a freight train going through my veins, through my entire body, the whole time, until I jumped.

It was insane! It was unbelievable. I actually had post-traumatic stress after it, for about a week after. I dreamt of hitting the ground. It was amazing. So those people who do [bungee jumping] all the time? They are addicted to some kind of adrenaline rush like you would not believe. They just cannot stop.

Would you ever bungee jump again?

No. I did that, and I crossed it off the list. They didn’t want me to do that at all. And I said, "Well, I’m going to do it once in my life, so you might as well get it on the camera."

When you look back at your life, have you been mostly a "yes man" or a "no man"?

I would say yes, even when I say no, because sometimes saying no is saying yes to your own self-worth. I like to enjoy life. I like to engage in life, so I’d say I’m a yes man. [He says jokingly] I’ve said yes to so many things, from a sex change to gastric bypass surgery. It’s always paid off for me. I kept the weight off. I work hard at it.

Was it hard making a movie that made fun of a philosophy you personally believe in: the power of positive thinking?

No. Everything can be made fun of. The most serious things are ripe for making fun of them. I have spiritual beliefs that I could literally go and make an entire comedy routine about, and tour as some sort of spiritual guru. But it kind of goes against that I actually believe the things, so I’m always caught in the middle.

What message do you want people to get after seeing this movie?

Mostly just to have a good laugh and to feel good in their heart. It’s not only a funny movie, but I think you really believe the love story and the friendships, so I think there’s a lot to walk away with. If there’s a message is to just engage in life. Say yes more than you do no, maybe a little bit more than you did before, and life kind of turns out all right. Usually, you regret the things you say no to.

What do you think comedy’s role is in this recession?

[He says jokingly] I’m not in a recession. I’m doing incredibly well. I just want to be honest. I really am kicking ass … [He says seriously] This is what comedy’s about: to laugh at the pain, laugh at the confusion. You need it. Comedy is always welcome, but especially in times like this. What else do you want to do? You want have something positive happen in your life. I think this is it.


Jim Carrey in "Yes Man"


Before "Yes Man," your previous live-action movie was the mystery drama "The Number 23." How do you feel about returning to comedy?

I like doing everything. I love it all. It’s just being creative. Whatever way I have to do it. I just want to tell stories. It’s really the storytelling aspect that’s great. Ultimately, it’s not the money, it’s not the fame — because it’s a pain in the ass — but it’s really the person in the [viewer’s] seat you think about. When you sit in the rooms and write and do all the things you have to do, it really comes down to thinking about someone sitting in a seat laughing. And that’s it, when you do a movie like this. It’s really that is what gets me off: The idea that people are actually laughing and maybe having something to think about when they leave the theater.

You’ve said that you can relate to the anti-social aspects of Carl Allen’s personality. Can you elaborate?

I go in and out of shut-in [periods]. My social life goes in bursts. [I’ll think,] "I’ve got to go out and do something, man." I’ll plan a motorcycle trip down to Baja, and I’ll hang out with my friends for a month, and then they’ll never see me for two or three months. I won’t answer any calls. I’ll go back and forth. It’s just kind of a see-saw effect, but I need both.

I don’t think I’m ever going to have the kind of life or schedule where I can have a steady way of doing things. Sometimes I’ll get really busy, and all I want to do is hide when I get home. And sometimes I’m not so busy, and I’ll want to reach out to friends ... I understand this character, definitely. It was my idea to do the dead guy on the couch [in "Yes Man"]. That’s kind of my own way of looking at myself sometimes: dying alone.

What was the stupidest thing you ever said yes to?

Sea Cadets. When I was 11 years old, I joined Sea Cadets, which is a military version of Boy Scouts. They shave your head and they humiliate you and they parade you around the rest of the people you know in the town. You parade around with this uniform on. But you know, if I hadn’t done that, I wouldn’t know that I’m a useless maggot. So "yes" always leads to something good.

What was harder for you: learning how to play an instrument or learning the Korean language?

The Korean, I just picked up on the set. I just hung out with a couple of Korean people on the set, and that was it. I just riffed. [He says seriously] No, actually it took about four weeks every day, studying it phonetically. It was so difficult. It was one of the hardest things I’ve ever done in my life … And then to have a Korean coach who is literally afraid to go back to Korea if I get it wrong. He’s telling, "No, this is serious. I will be hurt." So I hope I got it right. But he was on me pretty hard. It took a while, but I’m really dedicated.

Carl and Allison do a lot of spontaneous, romantic things in "Yes Man." What’s the most spontaneous romantic thing you’ve ever done in real life?

Everything I do is carefully planned and done by committee.

What was it like working with Zooey Deschanel as your love interest?

It was nice, because she was kind of a completely different tone than me. Our characters work really well off of each other. It was fun. I also think that you really believe the relationship at a certain point. [That scene in "Yes Man"] where we’re in the bar and have that moment, you really accept it. You can see why they love each other.

What advice you have to anyone who’s romantically down in the dumps, like your "Yes Man" character was in the beginning of the movie?

[He says jokingly] Kill yourself. Eat a ton of sweets and take your life. [He says seriously] Option two: I would say, "Hang in there. Invite some people over." In those times, the devil works for God. That’s my concept. The bad times are supposed to force you into getting out of your shell and going out into the world and making friendships and having love … Those times in your life force you to be a better person.